There are so many rules, suggestions, and opinions when it comes to flyng your drone. Here is a step by step guide of everything you need to do before and while you are operating your drone in Marion County.
1. Register your aircraft with the FAA by following this link here
2. Go to an FAA approved testing site and pass the Initial Aeronautical Knowledge Test.
There are two centers in Indianapolis with several more throughout Indiana:
INDIANAPOLIS LAS46201 **Aviation Institute of maintenence
7251 W. MCCARTY STREET INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46202
2175 S. HOFFMAN RD
Link for other Indiana testing sites: here
Refer to this link for the study guide, sample questions, and further instructions: here
- After you pass your test you will be vetted (have a background check run) by the TSA (Transportation Security Administration).
- Go to iacra.faa.gov and register on the site.
- Fill out the FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application. Once completed, you should receive a confirmation e-mail.
- Once the application is cleared and you have passed the TSA inspection, you will receive an e-mail with a temporary pilot certificate. This process can take up to ten business days once the FAA has received all completed components. A permanent remote pilot certificate will be mailed to you.
- Go to Film Indy and fill out the Film Application.
- Once Film Indy receives your application, they will contact you and ask for a flight plan to be provided.
- Your application and flight plan will be submitted to the IMPD by Film Indy and you will get a notice of its confirmation.
- Once all applications, certifications, and flight plans are approved—you are cleared to fly your drone.
Things to know:
- If you do not follow the above guidelines and have each application, certificate, and flight plan cleared before flying, you are subject to penalties. Penalties include: fines that start at $500 and/or your drone may be confiscated by any IMPD police officer at any time and may be held by the department for up to 24 hours.
- If you have any further questions about this process please fill out the Film Application and submit your questions in the “Special Requests” section.
Film Indy is here for you! Please follow the process above when operating a drone in Indianapolis. If you have any questions or concerns at any time, please do not hesitate to reach out to us! Thank you!